Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In
Alamo Portland and Roman Cement Works, 1979 HCEL
Share |

The Alamo Portland and Roman Cement Works - the first Portland cement factory in the American Southwest - was a critical supplier for the many Texas public works projects of the late 19th and early 20th century. Portland cement, a strong, durable, and quick-hardening blend, which is still in wide use today, was essential building material when the first plant opened in 1880 - only eight years behind the first one of its kind in America (Copley, Pa.). 

The company’s history starts in 1879 with William Loyd, a visiting Englishman who discovered the quarry in the course of a hunting trip. The quarry would later be identified as the source of blue argillaceous limestone, a natural cement rock, and the stock and trade of the enterprise. Loyd brought samples from the quarry to George Henry Kalteyer, state chemist of San Antonio at the time, who identified its type and value and later convinced the Texas State Capitol Board to use it in the construction of the Capitol building. The original cement works produced 10 barrels a day powered by a steam engine.

Photo: Sedonaz, Wikimedia. CC License.

Association Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal