Home of the ASCE Texas-Mexico Student Conference
ASCE Texas Section’s annual Student Symposium fosters close association between engineering professionals and over 350 university students. The Student Symposium combines the Texas-Mexico Student Conference’s concrete canoe student competition as well as a variety of other student competitions, a career fair, and seminars into one event. Each year, the Student Symposium is hosted by an ASCE Student Chapter with support from their local Branch and the Texas Section. We believe this partnership results in the development of future industry leaders. Each year the host school identifies a theme and spends an entire year planning!
The Student Symposium includes seminars on technical topics* and power skills that support the transition from the learning environment to the professional arena. We are always looking for guest speakers – contact us at [email protected] with your ideas. The Student Symposium Career Fair is an opportunity for employers to meet with over 350 students from universities from across Texas and Mexico in one place. We know the students who participate in ASCE are some of the brightest civil engineering minds engaged in leadership, teamwork, and professionalism. We think you’ll agree, and we encourage you to consider attending the Career Fair annually! More details below.
Local professionals are encouraged to attend. Technical seminars planned by the local ASCE Branch are typically eligible for professional development hours (PDHs).
Experience the Excitement
Want a firsthand look at what its like to attend the Student Symposium? Check out our video below from 2019!
2021 Student Symposium
We invite you to join the Texas Section and ASCE Student Chapters from the Texas-Mexico Student Conference on April 15-17, 2021 for our 7th Annual ASCE Texas Student Symposium. The theme for the event this year is “Building the Future”. The 2021 Student Symposium is hosted by the ASCE Student Chapter at the University of Texas at Austin. Additional support will be provided by the ASCE Austin Branch, ASCE Texas Section and ASCE Region 6.
*event times subject to change, all times are in Central Time unless otherwise noted.
Thursday, April 15
- Captains Meeting from 5 – 6 PM
- President’s Reception from 6 – 7 PM
Friday, April 16
- Career Fair from 8 AM – 12 PM and 1 – 3 PM
- Continuing Education Sessions from 8 AM – 12 PM and 1 – 3 PM (see below for details)
- Technical Paper Presentations from 9 AM – 12 PM
- Keynote Lunch Presentation from 12 – 1 PM
- Mystery Design Competition from 1 – 3 PM
- R. John Craig Legacy Event from 3 – 5 PM
- Student & Professional Social Event from 6 – 8 PM
Saturday, April 17
- Concrete Canoe Presentations from 8 AM – 12 PM
- Concrete Canoe Point Deductions from 8 AM – 12 PM
- Sustainable Solutions Competition from 9 – 11 AM
- Continuing Education Sessions from 10 AM – 12 PM and 1 – 3 PM (see below for details)
- Keynote Lunch Presentation from 12 – 1 PM
- Surveying Competition from 1 – 3 PM
- Blue Sky Innovation Competition from 1 – 3 PM
- Virtual Field Trip from 3 – 4 PM
- Student Business Meeting from 4 – 6 PM
- Awards Ceremony from 6 – 8 PM
The continuing education sessions will include:
- 8 – 9 AM: Forensic Engineering – Failure Analysis Case Studies by Bradley East MS, PE
- 9 – 10 AM: Why Geology Matters by Timothy R. Weston PE
- 10 – 11 AM: Underground Construction Techniques by Russ Jernigan PhD, PE, PG
- 11 – 12 PM: Know Your Flood Risk – Flooding Sources Go Beyond FEMA Maps by Andres Salazar PhD, PE
- 1 – 2 PM: Building Flood Resilience by Doug Coenen PE, ENV SP
- 1 – 2 PM: The Pith of Effective Presenting by Alise Isbell
- 2 – 3 PM: Water for Texas, Water for the Future by Kathleen Jackson PE
- 2 – 3 PM: Email Etiquette by Lindsay O’Leary PE, CAE, LEED AP & Mike Sosa
- 10 – 11 AM: Networking for Young Engineers by Sean P. Merrell PE, PTOE, RAS, F.ASCE
- 11 – 12 PM: Design Your Future with the Key to Success by Mark Stark BBA, USN, CPO (Ret.)
- 1 – 2 PM: How to LinkedIn by Max Darby
- 2 – 3 PM: Panel Discussion on Licensure and PE/FE Exam Prep
Competition Rules & Deadlines
- Concrete Canoe
- Concrete Bowling
- Concrete Frisbee
- Blue Sky Innovation
- Mystery Design (to be provided on day of competition)
- Sustainable Solutions
- Surveying Rules and 2021 Virtual Surveying Competition Data Sets
- Technical Paper Presentation
For questions, please contact Competitions Coordinator Jessica Hilscher PE at [email protected] or (512) 431-4779.
We are seeking Corporate Sponsors to help keep the Student Symposium affordable for the student attendees. We hope you will consider supporting this one-of-a-kind event and help our students reach their full potential. Benefits of sponsorship include:
- Brand recognition & engagement with civil engineering students across Texas & Mexico
- Identify potential staff members and interns during the Career Fair
- Network with local industry professionals
- Enjoy student competitions, technical sessions & social events
The sponsorship deadline has passed for 2021. Please check back later in the year for an update on the 2022 event. For questions regarding sponsorship opportunities, please contact Heather Guillen PE at [email protected] or (713) 394-5635. Through your support, you are helping to support Texas’ civil engineers of tomorrow! Thank you!
Please contact Mike Sosa at [email protected] or (512) 910-2702 with any questions about registration.
Payments and Refunds
All refund requests must be provided in writing to the Section Office on or before April 12, 2021. After April 12, no refunds will be provided.
If paying by check, payment must be received by the Texas Section on or before April 12, 2021.
Safety and COVID-19 Protocols
To mitigate participants’ risk of exposure to COVID-19, participants in the 2021 ASCE Texas Student Symposium are not required to assemble to participate in conference activities and events. Participants who choose to meet in-person for purposes related to participation in the student conference do so voluntarily and at their own risk. All participants who conduct any in-person activities in connection with this conference will be responsible for complying with their university campus protocols on COVID-19 and for following best practices including but not limited to restricting the size of gatherings, social distancing, and use of masks.
Events and competitions during the 2021 ASCE Texas Student Symposium may be recorded. By registering for this event, you give your consent for ASCE and/or host university to record your image (video and still), likeness, and voice in connection with this event, and you authorize ASCE and/or host university to reproduce, distribute, exhibit, or use such recording, in whole or in part, for any purpose and in any and all media worldwide and in perpetuity.
Student Symposium History
1st Annual ASCE Texas Student Symposium – 2015
ASCE Student Chapter at Lamar University, Beaumont, Texas
2nd Annual ASCE Texas Student Symposium – 2016
ASCE Student Chapter at Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas
3rd Annual ASCE Texas Student Symposium – 2017
ASCE Student Chapter at The University of Texas at El Paso, El Paso, Texas
ASCE Student Chapter at Texas A&M University, Bryan/College Station, Texas