ASCE Texas Legislative Drive-In
Every other spring, we hold our Legislative Drive-In program in Austin, Texas, concurrent with Texas Legislative Sessions. This intensive one-day program provides our members with an inside look at the public policy process.
Attend the ASCE Texas Legislative Drive-In and join us as we:
- Discuss engineering and infrastructure related issues within each specific legislative district,
- Educate legislators on ASCE’s state priorities and position on key infrastructure bills, and
- Increase the visibility of ASCE Texas Section – we are a group of civil engineers, leaders, and infrastructure experts.
At our inaugural 2017 event, 30 members visited over 50 senate and house offices, advocating for transportation, water, and water resources infrastructure as well as urging law makers to identify adequate funding.
Our Drive-In program includes:
- Meetings at the Capitol in Austin, Texas with your State Senator and Representative, or their staff
- Briefing sessions on key legislation and ASCE’s legislative priorities
- Training on lobbying and influencing your elected leaders
- Building relationships with your ASCE peers from across the state
- Tips on continuing relationships with your elected officials once you return home
Registration for 2019 is now closed.
View Event Agenda Here
- The nominal $20 registration fee will help us cover the cost of meals
- Registration is limited to 50 members
- A limited number of $125 travel stipends are available for select attendees. The priority of which these will be awarded is: (1) attendees from small branches, (2) first-time attendees, (3) attendees employed by a government agency, and (4) ASCE Key Contact members. If you are seeking financial support to attend this event, please notify Government Affairs Committee Chair Griselda Gonzales PE, ENV SP, LEED AP. Your request will be reviewed as quickly as possible.
Become an Advocate for Our Profession – Join the Government Affairs Committee!
The ASCE Texas Legislative Drive-In is planned by our Government Affairs Committee with support from our Vice President for Professional Affairs and Vice President Elect for Professional Affairs. Contact Committee Chair Griselda Gonzales PE, ENV SP at governmentaffairs@TexASCE.org to join the committee. We are always looking for another set of hands!
Stay tuned for the 2019 ASCE Texas Legislative Drive-In dates and application process.
Want to Stay Informed & Influence Policy? Become an ASCE Key Contact!
Don’t forget to become a member of ASCE’s Key Contact Program by visiting http://www.asce.org/keycontacts/. ASCE Key Contacts influence the policy process at the state and federal levels by developing relationships with elected officials. By meeting and making contacts with your elected officials in several ways, you can achieve true conversations about issues important to the profession, and become a trusted advisor when bills are drafted or considered.
Texas civil engineers are leaders in their communities building a better quality of life across the street and around the world.