Applications for National Legislative Fly-In Washington DC
Sofia Carrillo EIT
Government Affairs Committee Co-Chair
Applications Due November 18, 2022
ASCE is happy to announce that applications for the March 2023 Legislative Fly-In to Capitol Hill in Washington DC are now being accepted. The in-person event will occur March 1–3, 2023.
The Legislative Fly-In is intended for ASCE Key Contact members interested in advocating for the profession, strengthening valuable leadership skills, and learning firsthand how policy is crafted on Capitol Hill.
During this exclusive and intensive multiple-day event, accepted participants will receive professional development experience to hone their skills in the public policy process and advocacy, as well as valuable peer-to-peer networking with fellow ASCE influencers.
Accepted participants will have an opportunity to meet with their Members of Congress or their senior legislative staff and advance the Society’s collective policy priorities while learning beneficial leadership skills they can bring back to the workplace.
The Fly-In program includes the following:
- Exclusive briefing sessions on key activity in Congress impacting the profession, new regulations and implementation plans, and ASCE’s legislative priorities.
- Interactive training on advocacy, communicating your “ask,” and building relationships with your elected leaders — including pre-event webinars.
- Networking with your ASCE peers from across the country.
- Virtual meetings with your Members of Congress or their staff.
- Tips on continuing valuable relationships with your elected officials once you return home.
No fee is required to apply, however a registration fee for attendees will be collected during the registration process once you have been selected to attend the Legislative Fly-In.
You must be an ASCE member in-good-standing and a Key Contact to apply. The deadline to apply is November 18, 2022.
Preference will be given to applicants who:
- Are active in the Key Contact Program
- Have a demonstrated history of advocacy on behalf of ASCE, or
- Have a strong desire to be involved in ASCE advocacy efforts throughout the upcoming year
- Live in strategically important states or congressional districts for ASCE’s priority issues.
The application includes open-ended questions, so, wherever possible, please let us know more about your personal commitment and interest.
Acceptance notifications will be sent via email by December 16, 2022. Additional notifications will occur on a case-by-case basis as space is available.
There is a small registration fee to attend the Legislative Fly-In. If selected to attend, it will be collected when you register. Please review the Legislative Fly-In application guide for additional information regarding registration fees, travel stipends, expectations of Fly-In participants, etc., before applying. Please do not book travel until after you receive an acceptance notification.
ASCE Society Government Relations offers per diem for a limited number of attendees to help defray some travel costs. The remaining travel costs, including airfare, are the responsibility of the attendee. The Texas Section and some Branches may have a small amount of funding available for some attendees who express interest. For additional information about the application process, check out our application guide answering frequently asked questions, or contact us at [email protected].
Share this story: