New El Paso YM Group Shares S.M.A.R.T Goals
El Paso Branch’s Younger Member Group was formally established in July of 2019 after bylaws were approved. With this under our belt, our main S.M.A.R.T goal is to create an active member group with at least 20 registered members. This year, we want to create awareness of the new YM Group by at hosting at least 3-4 events with the ASCE Student Chapter at the University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP) and with the Chapin High School Engineering Magnet Program (Project Lead The Way).
Here are some ways we plan to grow our YM group:
- Creating a committed group of YM members (a formal invitation was sent to potential officers)
- Active participation in volunteering events throughout the city of El Paso and UTEP
- Teaming up with other nonprofit organizations
- Promoting ourselves via, social media, ASCE Website and by speaking at each of the ASCE general meetings.
With a budget approved by the board and through various donations, we were able to fund the following events and activities in 2019:
- Networking Social(s) with the UTEP students along with professional engineers and UTEP professors. This included round table discussions regarding the engineering life and career while also offering insight on how to achieve work/life balance through goal setting, hard work and steady group work.
- Round table discussions, in partnership with UTEP Alumni Mentorship Program (AMP), about what students would like to partake in during their time at UTEP. During this event, everyone exchanged contact information and resumes.
- Resume and interview workshop for the UTEP Students to help them prepare for the UTEP Career Fair. We created a presentation of interview tips and suggestions. We held resume review sessions where the ASCE El Paso Branch Board and YM Group reviewed student resumes and answered all types of questions pertaining to resumes and interviews.
- Teaming up with Chapin High School Engineering Magnet school to bus students to the Eastside Regional Park where SUNDT Construction hosted a tour of the new City of El Paso – Eastside Regional Park Phase I
- Our first Kick Off Event to promote the establishment of the Younger Member Group
- Introducing the UTEP Student Chapter to the ASCE El Paso Branch General Membership at various general meetings to promote awareness of the upcoming 2020 planned events.
In 2020 we plan to continue growing our membership as well as our involvement with the community through the following events and activities:
1. Judging the Robotics Tournament at Chapin High School (1-18-2020)
2. Engineers Week, which will include our 2nd Annual Magnet Challenge Competition at Chapin High School, introduce a Girl to Engineering Day, and a networking social with UTEP ASCE at a local venue (February 25-22, 2020)
3. Earth Month: Volunteer Clean up Event (April 2020)
4. Senior Design Symposium at Chapin High School (May 2, 2020)
5. Bike or Carpool to Work and post via social media (May 15, 2020)
6. Volunteer and Have a Beer event (June 2020)
7. First Annual YM Group Planning Session and Family Outing (August 2020)
8. Participating in Giving Day (Fall 2020)
9. Holiday Event (pending fall/winter 2020)
We want to strive to diligently share photos via social media and following up with thank you emails and meeting minutes. The list above requires active commitment and leadership to organize, track and share each event to the membership. We will also ask for donations to help fund the events, if needed. If you have any additional ideas or recommendations, please do not hesitate to reach out!
Share this story: