Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In
San Jacinto Monument, 1992 HCEL
Share |
The San Jacinto Monument, located in the San Jacinto Battleground Historical State Park on the Houston Ship Channel is, according to the Guinness book of world records, “the world’s tallest monumental column - at 567.31 feet in height (15 ft. taller than the Washington Monument). The monument commemorates the Battle of San Jacinto, April 21, 1836, the battle that won Texas’ independence from Spain. Ground-breaking for the monument took place on the same site as that historic battle on April 21, 1936 – exactly one hundred years later.

The San Jacinto Monument was funded by state and Public Works Project funds at a total cost of $1.5 million. The engineering work on this project is remarkable for its contribution to soil mechanics, having been one of the first field tests of the theory of Dr. Karl Terzaghi for computing the magnitude and rate of settlement. The monument, completed in 1939, is also notable for the innovative construction techniques employed, including the use of an engineered system of suspended scaffolds in achieving a continuous pour of 6,000 cubic yards of concrete during a 57-hour interval.

Owner: 
The State of Texas, Parks & Wildlife Commission
Architect: 
Alfred C. Finn
Engineers:
Robert J. Cummins
  Raymond Fillmore Dawson (geotechnical)
Contractor: 
W.S. Bellows Construction Co.
Photo:
Tijuana Brass, Wikipedia


Association Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal