Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In
Mills Building, 1981 HCEL
Share |

The Mills Building in El Paso, the first and only commercial building recognized as a Texas Historic Civil Engineering landmark, is distinguished as the first large reinforced structure in Texas and a contemporary of the earliest skyscrapers of its type in the United States - first reinforced concrete-framed and second concrete-framed skyscraper in the U.S. Construction began on the structure in 1909; completion to eight stories was accomplished in 1911, and ultimately four additional stories were completed in 1915.

 

At the time, concrete construction was a new method for buildings, and there was even less guidance on reinforced concrete design. Adolphus Gustavus Trost of Trost & Trost of El Paso was therefore pioneering a new method in his development of this design for the Mills building. The building is named for its commissioner, Anson Mills, a local engineer who surveyed and platted the settlement of Franklin (which he renamed El Paso in 1859). The building faces the street, a gently curved façade with Chicago style moldings and elements adorning its structure. It stands in an area that has been revived, with the intention of preserving its architectural and historical value. 

Photo: xnatedawgx Wikipedia

Association Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal