Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In
International Boundary Marker No. 1, 1976 HCEL
Share |

The Emory-Salazar Commission - a joint U.S.-Mexican team - showed both skill and fortitude in working together to define the 2,000-mile U.S. Southern border across wild, often dangerous territory. Requisitioned after the Mexican War ended in 1848, this was the first survey marking the official international boundary between the United States and Mexico. The survey extended west into the Pacific, ending eastward near El Paso and Juarez on the Rio Grande.

 

The easternmost point of the land boundary was marked by a four-sided marker in the same year that the team determined its location – 1855. The marker is located on the west bank near El Paso; its southern half lies in Mexico while its northern half rests in the United States. The monument is twelve feet in height with a width of five feet at the base. The monument was enhanced with a concrete base and a white marbleized concrete resurfacing in 1966.

Photo: James Sullivan
This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license.     


Association Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal