Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In
Houston Street Viaduct, 1989 HCEL
Share |
The first of five concrete and steel viaducts connecting the north and south sections of Dallas, the Houston Street Viaduct was entirely funded by Dallas County, and is one of the longest (6,562 feet, 56 feet wide) bridges ever built utilizing reinforced-concrete arches. This crossing, from the Dallas Central Business District, was the first reliable transportation to the then City of Oak Cliff, providing a future rail link, as well as clearances which would allow ocean- going vehicles to pass on a proposed Trinity River Canal. The Trinity River Canal would connect Dallas to the Gulf of Mexico and demanded a 90-foot clearance; this project is still under consideration today.

The Houston Street Viaduct displays a remarkable insight into future infrastructure needs and development. In addition to accommodation for possible future oceangoing vehicles, the viaduct features a roadway for vehicular traffic, sidewalks with provisions for a double-track electric railway, pile footings, and discontinuous rocker bearing girders designed as simple beams. Work began in 1910 and was completed a year later.; Remarkably, the overall structure remains intact with no visible modification and continues to support a major traffic artery. This link to the past continues to serve the public and to further the legacy of the skilled, forward-thinking engineers of the early 1900s.

Owner:
Dallas County
Architect:
Ira G. Hedrick, CE 
Engineers:
J.F. Witt (County Engineer)
  Hedrick & Cochrane (field work mgmt)
  M.R. Ash (design)
Contractor: 
Corrigan, Lee, & Halpin
Photo:
Joseph E. B. Elliott, National Park Service
Association Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal