Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In
Holly Pump Station and North Holly Water Treatment Plant, 1992 HCEL
Share |
The Holly Pump Station, which opened in 1892, and North Holly Water Treatment plant (opened in 1911) comprise the first waterworks system constructed by the City of Fort Worth. The City was responding to an increased demand for water associated with tremendous population growth. From 1880-1890, the population of Fort Worth quadrupled. The water supply was stretched thin and water-borne illnesses were a major problem. The city invested in the new technology of the time: including 5 million gallon low-lift centrifugal pumps, sedimentation basins, rapid sand filters, a million-gallon clearwell, and a laboratory to facilitate chemical and bacteriological tests. Major purchases were made from the Holly Water Works Co. of New York, which furnished the pumps and designed the plant; its initial system cleaned two million gallons a day.

The total cost of the project – including pump and broiler house, two engine foundations, a brick smokestack, 12 8-inch wells, a suction crib, a standpipe, and pipelines, valves, and other components of the distribution system – was $687,000. The plant continued to grow over the years. Completion of the treatment plant’s second expansion in 1923 brought a dramatic decrease in the incidence of disease. The facility finally reached its ultimate size (79 MGD) fifty years after its initial construction. Unlike many of the early waterworks facilities, parts of the system are still functional; the updated plant is still a critical part of Fort Worth’s water supply system.

Owner:
City of Fort Worth
Engineers: 
John H Gregory
  A.W. Scoble (City Engineer)
Contractor: 
John B. Hawley of McArthur Brothers
Photo: Freese & Nichols



Association Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal