Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In
Faust Street Bridge, 2011 HCEL
Share |
The Faust Street Bridge, which opened in 1887, crosses the Guadalupe River in New Braunfels. This crossing was vital for all traffic between Dallas/Austin to San Antonio from 1887 to 1934. At the time, it was one of very few toll-free bridges, which speaks to Comal County’s relative wealth and civic mindedness, at a time when bridges were usually private, toll-funded endeavors.

The bridge is made up of two Whipple trusses forming a 640-foot span; a pin-and-hanger joint system brings them together in the middle. The pin-and-hanger system was a favorite of the 1880s, but very few bridges with two or more Whipple trusses remain. In fact, the Faust Street bridge is the only multi-span bridge in Texas that still maintains its original crossing.

Photo: Craig Hanchey
Association Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal